Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What I Learned / Atkins Update/ Swollen Feet





Well, I suppose it is time for another installment of What I Learned This Week. I'll try, but I have to warn you, I am still processing.

My close cyberfriends know that I have been doing Atkins since Ash Wednesday. You also know that it hasn't been working...sort of...My clothes are looser....as a matter of fact, some blouses that didn't fit I forgot to give away last year were discovered and they now fit. But, the scale says I gained ten pounds. It is not the old muscle argument...I have not been doing muscular type exercises. I was learning some line dances, but most of my "exercising" has just been being more diligent about household tasks...and not as diligent as I ought at that....
So anyways, two weeks ago, I went to a naprapath / hypnotist.... (My primary care doctor wants to give me pills or send me for surgery....I just can't....) After looking at my food diary, he suggested that processed foods (especially lunch meet) and diet soda pop could be the culprits. He advised me to drink only water for a while (not difficult, since my UTI required no caffeine around the same time), and to completely cut lunch meat out of my diet. While this advice doesn't seem like fun, it also doesn't sound like it could hurt me, so I figured I'd try it.
So, for two weeks I didn't have any lunch meat, and I only drank water. I don't know how that worked on the scale, but my ankles were great....no swelling whatsoever....But then, on Friday, my Day of Hecticness that I was telling you about last week, I decided lunch meat was easier than actual cooking...And on Saturday I lived it up with the diet pop...(okay, I also had fun with friends, which I'll tell you about when I figure out what file Bob hid the pictures under...) Could diet pop and lunch meat cause my feet to swell up like balloons? Did I learn that lunch meat and diet pop will make my feet swell? I certainly can't blame being out on Saturday....I am on my feet doing stuff at home.....




Oh, and just in case this isn't good enough for a What I Learned post, a friend told me that if you have a stain on a tablecloth or blanket that didn't come out in the wash, to spray lemon juice on it, wash it, and dry it outside so the sun bleaches out the stain with the lemon juice. I never actually tried it, but I will....

7 comments:

Musings of a Housewife said...

I absolutely believe that they can! There is SO much sodium in lunch meat (although I love it) and soda (Coke is my favorite thing in the world, although I've been drinking less and less over the past year.)

I think you may have pinpointed the problem. Good for you! :-)

Wendy said...

Man, that's a long time to be on Atkins. I never lasted more than a week because I'd get to sick to my stomach. That's weird about the weight gain/inches lost thing. Like me, you appear to be a freak of nature.

Billy Coffey said...

I've always heard that soda can do that to you, which is why I stick to tea and coffee. Water is without the doubt the most disgusting substance in the world.

But lunch meat's bad for you? Seriously?

Sherri Murphy said...

I love water- with lemon, and tea, even unsweetened with lemon, or the flavored teas, peach, raspberry, etc., so it's easy for me to go without soda. I knew of the high sodium content in soda and lunchmeat only because of my Dad's battles with high blood pressure, and those were some things on his list to avoid. Fast foods are a big culprit as well.

Glad you learned about it.

jasonS said...

I try to stay away from soda, but I indulge every once in a while. That processed food will mess you up though. I also have some of that occassionally.

@Billy- you are too funny. Growing up we never drank water (unless from the fountain at school). It took me a lot of effort as an adult to get in the habit, but now I love it (just have to pee all the time which sucks).

Annie K said...

Helen, anything that ends in 'tini' could be the culprit. Just sayin'.

I drink huge amounts of water. I think psycologically it makes me feel like I'm following the 'Hollywood Hottie' plan or something (you know how you always see all those actors carrying water bottles). I can be such a poser that way.

Stephanie Wetzel said...

Some good learning! I like water pretty much. But I probably still don't drink enough of it. I need to practice my posing, I guess. Annie? Do you offer tutoring?