Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Children

This week's One Word blog carnival topic is children. I have not been blessed with children, so I can't speak as a parent, and I haven't taught for years, so I can't speak as a teacher.
Just a little something I have been thinking about though...

Proverbs 22:6 (New International Version)

6 Train a]" style="font-size: 0.75em; line-height: 0.5em; ">[a] a child in the way he should go,
and when he is old he will not turn from it.

Anyone out there discouraged because right now, at the moment, it seems that the little one you worked so hard to train right grew up and strayed from the straight and narrow, don't be afraid. When he is old he will not turn from it. I don't normally get my theology from Touched by an Angel, but there is a great episode where an old man is discouraged because his son has turned away from God, and he points out this verse to Tess. Tess then points out to him that the verse doesn't say his child will NEVER falter, but that when the child is old, he will know the right path and take it.
I thought it was interesting, anyway.

I am sure if you check out Bridget's post and blog carnival, there will be some awesome stories of children and parents.
In the meantime, I invite you to listen to a hymn I dearly love.

I Want to Walk as a Child of the Light - Kathleen Thomerson

I want to walk as a child of the light,
I want to follow Jesus.
God set the stars to give light to the world,
the star of my life is Jesus.

In Him there is no darkness at all;
The night and the day are both alike.
The Lamb is the light of the city of God.
Shine in my heart, Lord Jesus.

I want to see the brightness of God,
I want to look at Jesus.
Clear Sun of Righteousness shine on my path
And show me the way to the Father.

I'm looking for the coming of Christ;
I want to be with Jesus.
When we have run with patience the race,
We shall know the joy of Jesus.


5 comments:

Wendy said...

Doesn't everyone get their theology from Touched by an Angel? Well, that and Highway to Heaven, of course.

Glynn said...

Having survived the experience of teenagers, I'm reminded of the verse you cited: "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." With profound wisdom, the verse emphasizes "old" -- it says nothing about ages 13 to 25.

jasonS said...

There is always hope. We keep standing and praying, supporting and loving. The word of God is full of rich and precious promises. Thanks Helen.

Unknown said...

Thank you for encouraging us today!

Anonymous said...

I am very worried as my kids are in those teen years that they'll stray... this verse is what I try to keep in mind.

Thanks for the reminder, Helen.