Thursday, October 7, 2010

Niceness is ..... Nice: Pleasantly Disturbed Thursday

I am ticked off at some of the comments I have read on youtube lately.   Last week a friend on Facebook recommended I check out a video of Queen singing "We Are the Champions".  I found it very moving, not because it was their best performance, but for exactly the opposite reason.   Freddie Mercury seemed to be struggling with some of the notes, and his band mate rescued him.   I imagine that Mr. Mercury had already been sick at the time of the video,  but he wanted to be there for his band mates who were in turn there for him.  Maybe I'm guilty of romanticizing the situation, but I find it preferable to the attitude some of the commenters had.  Why should anyone be writing hateful things about a man who has been dead for ten years whose talent gave us some awesome rock anthems?  Okay.  He liked men.  I'm not comfortable with that.  SO WHAT?  He was a dang fine artist and his legacy should be the music he left behind, not how he got the disease he died from!!!

Yesterday I looked at the comments left by Youtubers at a video of Heart's "Magic Man".   First of all you had people hating on Heart for not being as good a Pat Benatar.  I find that to be a matter of opinion, but why leave a negative comment about a great song because you like Pat Benatar better?   WEIRD!!!

But that is not all.   Some lady who was widowed young left a comment on the same video about how her husband LOVED that song and how God blessed them with 34 years together (Yes, a fifty some year old widow is young) and she knows they were a match made in Heaven.  Can you believe there were people hating on that comment?   I'm appalled!  I'm flabbergasted!  I'm outraged!  I'm revolted!  One might even go so far as to say.... I'm miffed!  (Couldn't resist a Daffy duck spin off, sorry.  Start the video at the one minute mark to see what I'm talking about). 

 Why argue with a widow about the existence of God?  Why try to steal someone's peace from them just because you think they believe in the equivalent of Candyland with an M & M river (no, the woman in question did not seem to be talking Candyland, I'm being sarcastic here) , Almond Joy falls everywhere and you believe in nothing?   

What happened to people?   Didn't their mamas ever teach them that if they can't leave nice comments, they shouldn't leave any (unless of course they are funny.  My mama LOVED to laugh!)?

Sorry that today was Pleasantly Disturbed- Pleasant =  Disturbedly

I'm so glad all of you are nice!

:-)


4 comments:

jasonS said...

I have to say, I don't get why people do that either. I guess some people like to argue and instigate things, but it drives me crazy. People can be so ridiculous. Thankfully, you are only ridiculous in the best kinds of ways. :)

katdish said...

Wonderful rant, Helen. I am also appauled by the lack of graciousness many people seem to have.

Wendy said...

Helen, when we rule the world, can we outlaw jerks? It's the only sensible thing to do.

♥ Kathy said...

I think some people are so unhappy with themselves that they want to make others feel just as bad. I agree with you that it's totally wrong. And I loved Freddy Mercury..what people do in their bedrooms is their own business.