Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Renew, Rejoice!

More than a month into the new year, I think it is safe to say that everyone hankers for a renewal of some sort in their lives, whether it is of body were we lose a bunch of weight and have the energy we never did ten years ago, to stop smoking and not be dependent on nicotine to bring us peace, or of mind where we resolve to read more, becoming smarter and making up for lost time, or of heart where we promise to be kinder and mend relationships that have been in tatters for decades.
Since my mom's passing, I have been hoping for a renewal of some sort, and am waiting.   The word I have been given from Him is to make room in my home, mind, and heart for His plans.  So my own personal resolutions this year have been to declutter my home, mind, and heart.  The funny thing is, while organizing my home has always been a challenge for me, it is the decluttering of mind and heart that is truly troublesome.  I CAN organize my home, with help from my dear husband who will move the furniture and reach the high cabinets for me (Poor Bob.  He is a good man.  Never once has he asked me why MY new year's resolution means he moves furniture and clears out the high shelves.)  But the decluttering of my heart and mind are tasks that Bob can't help me with, and I CAN'T do on my own!
That's okay.  I have the promise from Him that He will do the renewing of my heart and mind, if I consent, and I do!


2 Corinthians 5:17 


So whoever is in Christ is a new creation: the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come.


You know another funny thing?  Our gracious Lord knows that I have this need to help, and he led me to another passage in scripture early January when I was praying about the decluttering of heart and mind thing!





Philippians 4:4-9



Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again: rejoice!
Your kindness should be known to all. The Lord is near.


Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God.


Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.


Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 6


Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me. Then the God of peace will be with you. 7


Today's scripture references were taken from the New American Bible.

This post is part of Peter Pollock's blog carnival on renewal.







7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can't do it on our own and we don't have to. Good stuff, Helen. Thank you. :)

katdish said...

You know, that Philippians passage is one of my favorites. I refer to it often. I think you are being renewed, Helen. Sometimes it's not as easy to see when we're going through it. Only looking back.

seekingpastor said...

Good scriptures--and good thoughts. We need renewal continually, or I do at least.

Anne Lang Bundy said...

I love the way you linked the help from Bob to the help from the Lord to do what we cannot do for ourselves. Lovely post!

Candy said...

My mom prays that Philippians passage daily. I love it! It feels so good to declutter both inside and out. And I don't hear Bob complaining. Your heart is being renewed, Helen. One room at a time.

a joyful noise said...

Decluttering household or our heart is a step toward renewal. Change in almost any form is good. Renew old friendships, restore that which was lost. You are blessed with a good husband (Bob) I believe the Bob's in this world are God's gifts to us as we find God's will for today!

Mari-Anna Frangén Stålnacke said...

Decluttering is indeed a good thing.
But it does take time, it sure does not happen over night! Great post! The peace of God be with you!