Saturday, December 6, 2008

At Least I Wasn't Sleeping

My husband and I went to Sunday Mass this evening instead of waiting for tomorrow. We had no special reason, though Bob did take the opportunity to go to Confession. By the time Mass was over, I thought maybe I needed to go, too. But Father T said it was okay, nothing for me to feel bad about. Please let me explain...
Today the readings at Mass reminded me of the play Godspell (if you are wondering why, go ahead and click the Mass readings for Sunday on my sidebar). The parish I belonged to about 7 years ago put the musical on during lent, and my husband and I went to see it. I thought it was very well done. The only thing I disliked about the play is that it ends at the Crucifixion. I think stories about Jesus's life need to at least get as far as the Resurrection ( the Ascension and Pentecost would be even better). I feel the same way about Mel Gibson's film The Passion of the Christ. If you depict the Crucifixion, you must depict the Resurrection.
But anyway, I have already digressed. If you've seen Godspell, you know that Jesus and His disciples are depicted as a bunch of hippies. It made sense in its day. Today a modern depiction would probably depict them a whole lot differently. I am not an artist, so I won't suggest how. Well, when I was listening to the readings, I was thinking about the musical and how they were depicted as hippies and such. Then, when the priest, my pastor, is giving his homily (that's Catholic for sermon), he mentioned that John the Baptist looked like a hippie, but people were drawn to him because he was speaking a powerful truth. I burst out laughing. Yes, the high pitched laugh in the front of the Church was me. I thought it was ironic that I was thinking of a hippie musical showing the life of Christ, and then the priest compares John the Baptist to a hippie. I was the only one laughing. I quickly covered my mouth. I was mortified.
God bless my pastor. I told him it was me laughing, and why. He said that's okay, and was really nice about it. He said the laugh was really nothing to apologize for.
No, this is not the performance I went to see, but it is the song I was thinking of.

3 comments:

Annie K said...

I bet everyone around you was wondering what they missed that was so funny.

Beth said...

I agree...I hate when movies end at the crucifixion, too. They forgot to add the best part!

Mary Ann said...

Oh...I'm going to have that song stuck in my head today...I just know it.