Saturday, September 5, 2009

Be Blessed, Not Afraid...

I thought today I would share one of my favorite hymns with you. I believe that it is mostly sung in Catholic parishes. I do believe that two uncles, my godmother, my grandmother, and my dad all had this hymn at their funeralss. Those had to be the saddest times in my life, and this hymn was like a branch I could grab onto as I felt myself going under the waters of sorrow. Unfortunately, for a long time, this hymn reminded me of their funerals, and has done less to encourage me on an ordinary Sunday, except of course during the months after their deaths.

I don't know why, but today was different. Today, it almost brought the joy and comfort I felt when I heard it in High School, but with an deeper understanding. I hope you will be blessed by listening to it.




Be Not Afraid


1.
You shall cross the barren desert, but you shall not die of thirst.
You shall wander far in safety though you do not know the way.
You shall speak your words in foreign lands and all will understand.
You shall see the face of God and live.

R.
Be not afraid.
I go before you always.
Come follow me, and
I will give you rest.

2.
If you pass through raging waters in the sea, you shall not drown.
If you walk amid the burning flames, you shall not be harmed.
If you stand before the pow'r of hell and death is at your side, know that
I am with you through it all.

3.
Blessed are your poor, for the kingdom shall be theirs.
Blest are you that weep and mourn, for one day you shall laugh.
And if wicked men insult and hate you all because of me, blessed, blessed are you!

1 comment:

Joanne Sher said...

What a beautiful song, Helen. I had never heard it (but that doesn't mean anything - only been a believer for ten years). So glad it touched you in such a special way! God is good.