Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Openness to God's Will: Chapter 2 in "The Hole in Our Gospel"


Today I will be writing about Chapter 2 in Richard Stearn's book The Hole in Our Gospel. This week Sarah is leading the discussion and has links to other's posts on this chapter at her blog.

In this chapter, Mr. Stearns tells us about how it was difficult for him to realize that God was calling him to be the CEO for World Vision because he felt unqualified, and that deep down, he really didn't want to give up his family's comfortable life style and the security their future was expected to hold if he remained the CEO of Lennox. I can't say I blame him for any of that. I imagine with five children, he was blessing and praising God that he had a job that secured their comfort and future (since he'd be able to afford college for them no problem), and that it is easy to become deaf to a new calling when you are shouting praise for the blessings in your present circumstances.
This chapter had me wondering if I am currently deaf to God's call for me. Does he want me to go back to teaching, but I am drowning out His call with cries of how long it has been since I taught and that I'm not sure I am still qualified? Does He want me to somehow use my experience taking care of Mom, but I drown Him out with cries about how much I miss her? Does He want me to currently be a "housewife", and I am blinded by the fact that I just hate to clean? Or is this just my "desert" just like Mr. Stearn's period of joblessness was His?
I know the answer is to continue to pray for purpose, but to add to that a request for the willingness to be open to God's will for my life. I mean, I thought I was open, but am I really? I, too, have played the unqualified card when being led by Him to start a new ministry at Church. Am I playing the same card in His will for my day to day life? I know. Only I can answer that. But right now it seems that I can't. But He can, if I open my ears and heart.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

"I know the answer is to continue to pray for purpose, but to add to that a request for the willingness to be open to God's will for my life."

Praying with you Helen!

Unknown said...

"I know the answer is to continue to pray for purpose, but to add to that a request for the willingness to be open to God's will for my life."

Praying with you Helen.

jasonS said...

Helen this blew me away, "it is easy to become deaf to a new calling when you are shouting praise for the blessings in your present circumstances."

It's hard to follow God when things are good and you feel blessed. We may be unwilling to give up these things because "God blessed me with" this job, this lifestyle, this house, this great city, whatever. We keep shouting praise, but He wants us to hear how we can move with His heart. Excellent! Thank you so much, Helen.

Sarah Salter said...

Helen, I don't know WHAT SPECIFICALLY God has for you, but I know that it's something wonderful and important. You are such a blessing to all of us. You encourage me every single day. And this post... this wonderfully honest and open and introspective post... this was an encouragement, too. Thank you for sharing this with us and allowing us to pray with you and see the testimony that unfolds in your life!

HisFireFly said...

Praying that God's call be very clear and heard above all the noise of the world and chatter of the flesh.

He knows that you love Him, and is well pleased Helen!

Unknown said...

"I know the answer is to continue to pray for purpose, but to add to that a request for the willingness to be open to God's will for my life."

That sounds like an awesome prayer to me and one that will get the Father's attention as well.

Thanks for sharing!

mo said...

Been hearing a lot about this book lately. Thanks for the summary!