Monday, November 16, 2009

A Mildly Amusing Conversation at Barnes and Noble Cafe


Okay, they looked nothing like this, but everyone knows that a picture on a blog post grabs attention...



First of all, I want to ask you to go to my friend Wendy's blog. Things are hectic for her right now, and she could do with an extra smile. Ideally I know she'd like for you to participate in her blog carnival, but if you aren't up for that right now, how about leaving a favorite joke in her comment section. Something, anything for a grin. Thanks.



I wish my life is funny post was a barrel of laughs this week, but it is more like mildly amusing. Still, the best I can do is good enough, right? (I have to say, Wendy has always been generous in her blog carnival about the best I can doing being good enough...)

Anyway, here is what I found mildly amusing lately...

Last week Sunday, November 8, my husband and I went to see a movie, and then to hang out at Barnes and Noble. We LOVE to hang out at Barnes and Noble. We will each scoop up an armload of books, take them to the Barnes and Noble Cafe, and browse through them. We do not buy many of them. We usually pick no more than one each, because frankly, we love our library, and can get many of the books there, at least eventually. But sometimes there is a book that we believe we will read more than once, need to savor, or will be quite possibly passing down to someone else.

Anyways, I digress. My perusing habits don't have much to do with this except that after we each are done with our pile of books, we will usually order a treat. What was funny last week was that when I finished my last book and was about to get myself a peppermint mocha latte and the chocolate brownie with white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts that I'd been looking forward to, I look up to find Bob staring at me...

Helen: What's the matter? Is something wrong?
Bob: No, not at all. I just realize...You lost some weight...
Helen: I don't think so hon, but thanks. ( I have fallen "off the wagon" of my diet a few months ago, and meant to get back on, but didn't...)
Bob: Really Helen, you have.
Helen: Bob, you are very sweet, but I doubt it. I have been getting out of breath lately when I go up and down the stairs, and after a while, my knees start to hurt. I do appreciate the compliment though..
Bob: Honey, have you thought about the fact that you actually make more trips up and down the stairs now, so of course you have aching knees after and our out of breath...Anyways, you are looking good, and I am proud of you.

Okay, what is so funny about this? I'm getting there...I suddenly had no more desire for the peppermint mocha latte and the chocolate brownie with white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts... Since then, I have even noticed that I desire less portions at meals at home. I'm not talking about a loss of appetite that should be worrisome, just that I haven't desired as much food.

Isn't it funny? I couldn't get back on my diet once I cheated on it because I despaired, but once my husband suggested that I actually succeeded, I could get back on without even trying.

Life is funny....

Now make sure you have gone to Wendy's blog and either left a link to a LIFE IS FUNNY post of your own, or left your favorite joke in the comment section...

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh Helen, I do love you so...

And yes, your post is highly amusing in a "DOH!" sort of way. Of course, Bob's compliment was lovely, but now there's a fancy coffee drink and a special brownie without a home out there... Next time you're feeling like being good, can you send the goodies to me? I don't wanna be good. :o)

jasonS said...

It's amazing how we have the power to bless and curse, isn't it? We sadly don't always take the time to notice and say things like we should.

Good for Bob! Way to go Helen! You are most definitely a power couple. :)

katdish said...

Ain't it the truth? Amazing how that works. Good for Bob and good for you.

I love hanging out at the book store and the library.

Kelli said...

Congrats, Helen!! I'm proud of you too!

Now, I need to borrow Bob so we can go have a conversation before this Starbucks Venti Chai Latte hits my waist!

Oops - too late!

Anne Lang Bundy said...

Never underestimate the effect of an encouraging word that the Lord seems to send at just the right moment. They've saved me more times than I care to mention.

Candy said...

Positive feedback is such a great motivator. Kudos to Bob for being so attentive. Very few hubbies would even notice.