Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Creamy Bratwurst Stew

Yesterday I made this great dish called Creamy Bratwurst Stew. It was awesome. Yeah, I know self praise stinks, but I'm not really praising myself, I'm praising this cooking magazine called Taste of Home. I looked at this recipe, and it reminded me of this White Bosch (not sure how to spell it) my mom used to make when I was a kid, except she used sour cream, paprika and Polish sausage. Now, if anyone out there reading this is Polish, you probably already know how to spell the meal, and that using sour cream is cheating. You are supposed to use egg white and flour to get white bosch (as opposed to red bosch, which is made with beets and my mom had the good sense to never try to inflict beets on me as a child, making it tolerable to me as an adult now).
Anyway, my dad was Hungarian before he became naturalized (now he's Heavenian), and Hungarians add paprika and sour cream to just about everything. My dad even said a good Hungarian adds sour cream and paprika to his coffee. He would then say "I, However, am not a good Hungarian". That is why none of the recipes my mom made were traditionally Hungarian, or Polish (like my mom). My mom, bless her sweet heart, has always tried to make everybody happy. She couldn't be happy if anyone was unhappy, and would be happy making other people happy. I'm more likely to try to convince people they are happy with the way I do things, that's why I do it, so smile, like it, and be happy. But mom always went out of her way for others.
Creamy Bratwurst Stew brought back many happy childhood memories of mom, dad, and me in the kitchen, adding things to otherwise traditional dishes and making them unrecognizable. I am not going to include the recipe in my blog, because I don't think that would be fair to the Taste of Home people. I am going to readjust the recipe to make Creamy Polish Sausage Stew for Half-Hungarians next week, and will post that next week (unless the Taste of Home people come after me with a barbecue fork, and threaten to skewer me if I do, which I don't think they will). Have a great day!
'

1 comment:

katdish said...

CDO from ADD (mine's already alphabetical):

Sounds delicious. My mom's japanese, but my dad always wanted her to cook american food, so we ended up eating EVERYTHING over rice, which is okay for most things, but spaghetti night was kinda weird.

And I think the word you're looking for is "borscht". "Bosch" is a company that makes power tools. They are neither white or red. They are blue and I highly recommend them (but not for cooking).