Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Psalm 2

2:1 Why are the nations so violently moved, and why are the thoughts of the people so foolish?

2:2 The kings of the earth have taken their place, and the rulers are fixed in their purpose, against the Lord, and against the king of his selection, saying,

2:3 Let their chains be broken, and their cords taken from off us.

2:4 Then he whose seat is in the heavens will be laughing: the Lord will make sport of them.

2:5 Then will his angry words come to their ears, and by his wrath they will be troubled:

2:6 But I have put my king on my holy hill of Zion.

2:7 I will make clear the Lord's decision: he has said to me, You are my son, this day have I given you being.

2:8 Make your request to me, and I will give you the nations for your heritage, and the farthest limits of the earth will be under your hand.

2:9 They will be ruled by you with a rod of iron; they will be broken like a potter's vessel.

2:10 So now be wise, you kings: take his teaching, you judges of the earth.

2:11 Give worship to the Lord with fear, kissing his feet and giving him honour,

2:12 For fear that he may be angry, causing destruction to come on you, because he is quickly moved to wrath. Happy are all those who put their faith in him.


The beginning of this Psalm got me thinking about the upcoming elections. You see, I am in a bit of a pickle. I can not vote for Obama, because he is very prochoice, and several years ago during that whole partial birth abortion debate I vowed never to vote for a prochoice candidate again.
You see, growing up, I would have to describe my household's religious affiliation as Democrat. Technically, we were and are Roman Catholic, but my family was way more in lock step with the Democrats than the Church. It's not that we were for abortion. We just blamed Republican economic policies for poor women believing it was their best option. I know, we had blinders on about other reasons, such as a social stigma for unwed pregnancy, or a woman just choosing not to be burdened with pregnancy. My point is, that while we didn't like abortion, we did not associate it with Democrats.
The whole partial birth abortion debate changed that for me. I believed that a person could believe in good faith that a fetus wasn't human during the first or second trimester, because it didn't look human. I didn't agree. I did and do believe that a fetus is human at conception, however, I saw how a person could disagree with me. I know it sounds pathetically patronizing, but I saw how someone could be honestly wrong in good faith.
But I didn't and don't understand how a half-birthed baby/fetus can be considered not human by anyone. When would these people consider the child human, when he/she had a college degree? What college? Bachelor's, Masters, or Ph'd. You see where I'm going. I could not vote for a candidate who has blinders on about the humanity of a baby. And since I believe that life begins at conception, a fetus is a baby baby, an embryo is a baby baby baby, etc.
So I can't vote for Obama. Why not McCain? The answer to that is, I don't trust him. He left his first wife, the one who waited for him while he was in the POW camp, once she became disabled. She stood by him in sickness and in health. He didn't. He cheated. He left. He remarried. If the woman who bore his children and combed his hair for so many years couldn't count on him to be faithful to her, who the heck do I think I am? I am just a voter. He can be prolife today, and prochoice tomorrow.
So why does this Psalm, which is clearly about Jesus's kingship, make me think about the elections. I don't know. Maybe because it reminds me that God is in control. Maybe it reminds me I have to pray for the leaders of my country, that they turn their hearts toward God, andt then trust Him to hear my prayer.
I can't say I think I can write a poem based on this Psalm, but I did come up with an entry inspired by Psalm 1. I already submitted it.


Jesus loves me even
though I fail so explosively
He's my truest friend.



Shakespeare it's not, but I am glad I got started. I'm going to keep trying.

1 comment:

katdish said...

You are in a pickle. I'm sure they're out there, but I can't think of any democratic elected officials who are pro life. Sometimes we have to hold our noses and vote. I'm not thrilled about either candidate, for a whole host of reasons, but I'm going with McCain.