Thursday, September 4, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me

My thirty-ninth birthday was a couple of days ago. It reminds me of a story I used to tell second graders. It goes like this...

We all get along so well and like each other so much that we keep in touch forever and ever. We even buy condo units in the same building so we can all be neighbors. We make sure we go to the mailbox at the same time everyday so we can spend time with one another. One day, we accidentally check the mail on a National holiday. The conversation goes something like this.

Joe: I did not get any letters. I have no mail.
Mary: Oh really? Well I didn't get any letters or advertisements. I have more no mail than you do!
Genie: I can top that! I didn't get any letters, advertisements, or magazines. I have more no mail than either of you!
Fred: I have beaten you all. I didn't get any letters, advertisements, magazines, or bills. I have more no mail than you three!

The story goes on and on until I have named every child in the class. I use this story to demonstrate that when you multiply zero by any number, you get zero, because no matter what you do, you can never have more nothing. It works! Many teachers say that this is a property most students forget, but mine still tell about having more no mail than others. It is very gratifying.


What does this have to do with my thirty-ninth birthday? I don't understand how, since I know that you can't have more nothing, I can feel more barren with every birthday that passes. I know, Sarah, Hannah, Elizabeth, Rebekkah, were all barren for a long long time. Barrenness is Biblical. Barrenness sucks! Happy belated Birthday to me!
Sorry if I sound bitter. I'll regain my sense of humor shortly. I've been checking out jokes and humor blogs. If you click on the title of the previous post, you'll see the fruit of my labor (no puns intended). That was the best one I found. That, and God's creation blog on the same site.

Have a blessed day!

1 comment:

katdish said...

A very happy belated birthday to you Helen!

My friend gave birth to her first child when she was in her early twenties. She tried unsuccessfully for the next 14 years to have another child. After a miscarriage, she gave up hope of having another child and went to the doctor to talk to him about having a hysterectomy. The doctor informed her she could not have that particular procedure because she was pregnant. Last year, at the age of 41, she had her third child. God works in mysterious ways! Be blessed, my friend!