Monday, September 22, 2008

What Do Dreams Mean?

I don't like to get overly caught up in my dreams. I realize that sometimes I dream what I dream because that is what I was thinking about when I went to bed, or dinner did not agree with me, or I'm too close to the edge of the bed. You know what I mean. But every so often I get a dream that doesn't fit with the explanations, and it is a dream that sticks with me. I know, I'm not unique, we all get those. This is when I think my subconscious is trying to tell me something my conscious doesn't want to hear. And then my conscious gets all curious and desperately wants to know what the subconscious seems to want to tell, but the subconscious only speaks in broad symbolism that my conscious is too dense to get. If only my subconscious wasn't so creative...
The dream goes something like this. The words in parentheses are my reality outside of the dream. I am trying to cross a busy street with my dad (deceased) about two blocks from where I currently live (daddy never saw this house or knew I would one day live here). While crossing the street, daddy and I get separated. I make it safely across, but he makes it across about 75% of the way. The light changes, and a police officer insists he has to go back and starts pushing him into traffic instead of helping get safely across. He almost pushes dad in front of a moving vehicle. I see this, and I want to help dad without getting arrested. So I run up to dad and start yelling at him to drown out the police officer yelling at us. I yell "Daddy, stop bothering this nice police officer! You need to finish crossing the street, not walk backwards into traffic, let's go" and grab him by the arm and drag him across the street while the police officer yells. Daddy and I walk together for a couple of blocks. I expect him to yell at me for treating him like a doddering idiot in public, but he says nothing. I finally say "how much trouble am I in? (Daddy used to give the silent treatment when he was furious) Daddy says "Why would you be in trouble?" I answer "For speaking to you the way I did (Daddy would have rather have been run over by a fleet of mac trucks than spoken to disrespectfully, especially by his daughter). Dad says " I am not a doddering fool. I know that the police officer was pushing me into traffic, and you were trying to stop him without getting arrested. I am glad I didn't get run over, and I am glad you are not in jail. Even if the officer tries to press charges against you now, what judge would rule against a woman trying to take care of her father?" And then we keep walking.
Nothing else happens. I did not go to bed thinking about walks or daddy. This does not sound like bad pizza to me! What could my subconscious be saying. Oh well...
Have a great day! God bless!

3 comments:

Life Is Beautiful said...

Hello Helen... just stumbled upon your blog...
one thing comes to mind regarding your dream...the 'principle of equity', ie setting aside the letter of the law in order to fulfil the purpose of the law. Traffic lights are to save lives, but the policeman was being a bit of a Pharisee in sticking to the letter of the law while putting a life in danger. Perhaps someone in your life is being a 'Pharisee' at the moment?? I like your blog style by the way. Come visit mine?

katdish said...

Okay, well...
I have nothing so intelligent to say as pip,

but maybe the Holy Spirit is reassuring you that your path and your motives are good, despite what others may believe. Be blessed, my friend.

Life is Severe said...

Hi Helen, pip has already introduced himself to you. Thank you for commenting on our blog, and a recent post of mine. It's nice to know my story of a previous experience in a nursing home touched you. It is so true what you say, I think the elderly should be cherished and respected as our elders. My experience was around 16 years ago, and it still amazes when I think of it. By God choosing that situation to speak to me, it certainly shows where His heart is....and where ours should be. Looking forward to keeping up with your blog and seeing what you post here....I agree with pip regarding your dream, I would have taken the same from it.