Tuesday, September 9, 2008

This is Awesome!

Weeks ago Katdish recommended a site that puts up a map of where people who have checked out your blog are from. I really wanted that map, but when I went to the site I needed to leave my e-mail address,which I did, but then proceeded to have trouble with my e-mail address, so I couldn't retrieve my password. Well, I've been coveting that map for a while, and have finally checked out the gadgets on blogger and found something similar. Wow! I thought my blog wasn't being read by many people because of so few comments. I feel better now that I know that just because no one commented about a post, it doesn't mean I'm talking to myself. I don't like talking to myself (unless someone is there to watch and get freaked out. I love that!).

I have been reading Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar. It is about understanding philosophy through jokes. I hope they don't mind if I share one with you.

An optimist says that the glass is half full.
A pessimist says that the glass is half empty.
A rationalist says that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.


Luuuuuuuuv it! It's like the rationalist sees both at the same time. I'm not sure I'm a rationalist, but I love knowing that someone else doesn't think it has to be either / or.

My dad used to like to teach me stuff through jokes. His favorite was one he learned in Hungary as a young boy. "The King is a big man. But he still can't eat his cookies with a shovel." Maybe not philosophical, but it keeps me grounded when meeting someone who is better educated, or has more money, or name a reason they might be better than me. I remind myself they can't eat cookies with a shovel, which makes me smile as I shake their hand and converse.

I love the idea of using jokes to learn things. The blogger gadget section also has joke of the day, but I don't know yet if I want a random joke selector. What if there are naughty jokes sometimes. It's not that I never tell naughty jokes, but I usually whisper them. I know how to SHOUT on a keyboard, but I don't know how to whisper.

Have a blessed day!

No comments: