Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Mamma Mia!

Okay, people. I posted this on August 8, 2008. I am reposting this because a) My husband gave me the DVD for our anniversary on July 20, so the movie is on my mind, and b)My computer is possibly still down, and I don't want you to have to go to long without hearing from me. Besides, most of you didn't know me yet when I wrote this, so you probably haven't read it yet. If you are katdish, you read it, but will enjoy rereading about my kookiness and looking at new comments. Win, win, everybody wins here on Random Musings....

Written on August 9, 2008
I am so excited I can barely type! My mom hired someone to take care of her this afternoon, and my husband and I went to see Mamma Mia! I know the critics hated it, but I loved it! The scenery was amazing! The plot had me crying practically throughout the movie, and when I wasn't crying, I was laughing. I did not sing along, since the previews request that we not add our own soundtracks.
I cried for the girl, who longed to know her father. I cried for the mother, who found herself in a pickle due to previous sin. Yes, I know, we are responsible for our own sins, and thus, the consequences. That doesn't mean I can't feel sorry for the sinner. After all, I am one too. My sins are different, but no better (or worse). God doesn't say some sins are ugly, and some are not so bad or down right cute. So anyway, I felt deeply sorry for both mother and daughter. I also cried at the partially happy ending (I won't spoil it and say why it was only partially happy. If you see it, you will want to be surprised!)
I thought is was funny in the way all musicals are funny, with people dropping what they are doing and parading around to sing. But real life isn't like that. I know, I've tried it in the supermarket. People did not follow me and start singing Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, but the workers at Dominick's always ask if they can help me with anything as soon as they see me. Either the Dominick's in Park Ridge is a very friendly place, or they didn't like my singing voice and are trying help me get out faster so they won't have to hear it again. I'm good with it either way.
Have a great weekend. I already have!



I still heartily recommend the movie on DVD. The scenery was more awe inspiring on the big screen, but it is still lovely, and the storyline is very moving. Come on guys. Take a Chance on Me...or at least my recommedations. ;-)

5 comments:

katdish said...

I'm glad you were able to get away and enjoy a movie! I will probably wait for the DVD -- not a big ABBA fan. My neighbor Dee, however apparently is. I got a phone call Sunday afternoon from her daughter asking me to step out on my driveway. I was treated to a serenade from the Mamma Mia soundtrack sung by four middle-aged women hanging out the sunroof and windows of an SUV. They had just come from the movie then picked up the soundtrack on the way home. (Who knew they served alcohol at the movies?)

Take care, my friend!

Helen said...

Lucky! I would have joined them, and most of the time , I don't even drink. Come to think of it, I'm quieter and less flamboyant when I drink, because I'm afraid I may embarass myself (yes, I can do worse than singing Jesse's Girl at the local Jewel). I wish I knew middle aged women who liked ABBA. Most of my friends just smile indulgently at me when I get crazy, and joke about not letting me drink even if I wanted too. Hey, maybe I could start a club...

katdish said...

So, you just changed the date on the post? Clever girl!

I have yet to see the movie, but when I was painting the other day, the movie was playing in the background.

Pierce Brosnan should stick to acting. Not the greatest singer...

Wendy said...

Yup, having Pierce Brosnan sing was somebody's very bad idea. But I love, love, love the movie, too! I really like being able to walk out of a theater feeling happy. Good times!

Helen said...

I couldn't agree more about Pierce Brosnan and his singing. However, he did help me to feel better about my own skills (or lack there of) in the choral department