Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Newest Poll

Has anyone heard jingle bells at their local mall lately? I have. And I must admit, that even though I am initiating this poll, I am conflicted. Sometimes I think we should still be singing Christmas songs in July, because they are so uplifting and beautiful. Sometimes I think we need to respect the Church seasons, which means that advent ends on Christmas Eve, and the Christmas Carols should be limited to those that remind us Jesus is Coming, not those that state He is here. Then, on the other hand, I hear on my local radio station (all Christmas music, all the time, starting the day after Halloween), and I hear "The Virgin Mary Had A Baby Boy", and I think to myself, this could be the moment someone in there car remembers Christ, and prays to Him, and changes their life. This commercial station may have initiated a beautiful thing. Who am I to be annoyed by what I consider proper timing. So I ask you, what do you think? Please take part in the poll, and leave comments in the comment box. I am open. I am conflicted. I need a cup of coffee... But first...

THE VIRGIN MARY HAD A BABY BOY
(West Indian Spiritual)


The Virgin Mary had a baby boy,
The Virgin Mary had a baby boy,
The Virgin Mary had a baby boy,
And they say that his name is Jesus.

Refrain:
He came from the glory,
He came from the glorious kingdom.
He came from the glory,
He came from the glorious kingdom.
Oh yes, believer!
Oh yes, believer!
He came from the glory,
He came from the glorious kingdom.

The angels sang when the baby born,
The angels sang when the baby born,
The angels sang when the baby born,
And proclaimed him the Savior Jesus.

Refrain

The wise men saw where the baby born,
The wise men saw where the baby born,
The wise men saw where the baby born,
And they say that his name was Jesus.



I know, more appropriate for waaaay after advent, but I wanted to share the lyrics. And it looks like I learned how to post a Youtube video! Yay for me!



9 comments:

Sherri Murphy said...

Okay, it's NOT as good as rap music, but yeah, I see your point!

I am a crazy LOVER of Christmas music! I could sing it all year long!
My husband hates it.
Once in the car while the Little Drummer Boy song was playing (one of my all time favs) he turned off the radio and said that he was SO SICK of hearing CHristmas songs!
I told him that he MUST BE THE ANTI -CHRIST as I turned it back on and even louder!
I put up my Christmas tree every year on Thanksgiving night (complete with the Christmas music playing in the background). It just gets me in the spirit of the season. It brings out the scrooge in my otherwise PRECIOUS husband!

But hey, to each his own.

I'm looking for some Christmas rap music this year....got any suggestions?

Helen said...

I do love "The Little Drummer Boy". Maybe if you visit anyone in Niles this season, you can stop over and we can do our own rap version of "The Little Drummer Boy". Not gonna happen, huh? Well, I'll keep my ears open and let you know if I hear anything.

Sherri Murphy said...

Let's google it and see if there is a rap version already out there! If not, maybe we can co write one and change the face of Christmas songs!
Are you better with words or music?
How is your timing?

katdish said...

While I am a big fan of Christmas music, I DO NOT need to hear it at the mall because, HELLO! I know it's almost Christmas and I need to finish my shopping, enough already! Who needs that kind of pressure?

Helen said...

I can sing well enough (better than my husband, anywway) but I don't play any instruments, so I guess I am better with words. I can't clap to the ryhthm. I always clap to the offbeat unless I try to clap to the offbeat which puts me on rhythm. I am the reason they say white people don't have any rhythm. I give my people a bad name...

Annie K said...

Helen, you'll have to check out my friends blog as she wrote a funny post this morning about things NOT to buy at Christmas. http://bostern.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/christmas-run-amok/

I guarantee you'll get a good laugh! (and is that shameless promotion if I'm promoting HER blog?) ;)

Sherri Murphy said...

Helen, you mentioned you have a rythym problem The whole rap idea might be a bit difficult for you. How 'bout you write the words, I'll write the music AND perform the song...solo.
Merry CHristmas!

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with this particular post but, I was visiting SCL site and saw your/Bob's comment and I thought, Hmmm....
Then I saw that you had accidentally logged in under his name!

That was hilarious!
"I repeat, Bob does not have a husband!"

Poor Bob. Probably doesn't even know that CHristians across the globe were praying for him!

You keep me laughing Helen. Thank you!

Beth said...

I love Christmas music, but I prefer to hear it AFTER Thanksgiving. I have a hard time moving from Halloween and jumping directly to Christmas...because I really really love Thanksgiving!! I do make exceptions, however, for my kids. My two year old son requested I sing Jingle Bells at bed time every night for about 6 months straight...March through about September. Now that it's getting more seasonal, he prefers Row Row Row Your Boat. Go figure. But I remember making my mom sing Away in the Manger every night for about 2 years...