Thursday, March 12, 2009

Joke Sharing Time

A blog that I have never checked out before suggested we share something we thought was funny this week, and link back to her. I am game. I like funny stories. Click on the picture below if you want to check her blog out.




I found this at The Wittenburg Door Archives. What is a good Catholic girl like me reading the Wittenburg door for? I guess I am a rebel like that. Besides. I love to laugh, and some of their parodies are really funny.

The premise of this joke is that God is keeping a blog as he creates the universe. I have kept the author credit at the bottom of the page. I am not trying to steal someone's work, but share something really funny.


Day 1
Listening to: Silence (it's wonderful)
Mood: Blissful
Created light. Took about 11 seconds.
What to do with the rest of the day?
Wound up creating the sheet, too. Spent afternoon making shadow-puppets with Jesus (Unable to cast a shadow, the Holy Spirit got upset went body-surfing). Jesus does this thing where He makes a fist then sticks up his index and middle fingers and bounces His hand around – cracks me up. Not sure what to call it; we'll delegate that sort of thing somewhere down the line.
If I ever get a book deal from this blog, I might leave out the part about the shadow-puppets. "Let there be light" is much more impressive than "Let there be light and a bed sheet."
All in all, a good day.
Day 2
Listening to: Silence again (it can't last forever; must enjoy it while I can)
Mood: Expectant
Had another good day today. Separated water into two parts with an expanse we're calling "sky" in between. We may rethink the name later, but it works as a placeholder.
Holy Spirit spent the afternoon hovering above and below the face of the deep.
Day 3
Listening to: Ocean surf breaking on the beach
Mood: Happy
Good things are afoot. Created land today. Can't talk about it now, but I see real potential in this "dirt" stuff. I'll keep you posted.
In the course of creating land, we also created "seas." Spent the rest of the day punning with Jesus and Holy Spirit: "Now see here...." "No, no, the sea is over there." Must blog on the humor potential of homophones someday: Sea if I don't.
Got a big project set for this afternoon. I'll blog on it tomorrow.

Day 4
Listening to: The music of the spheres
Mood: Charamblontical (there's simply no other word for it)
Spent yesterday creating a garden. This was one of the things I was thinking about yesterday when I mentioned that I saw potential in dirt. You can plant all kinds of stuff in it. Trees, shrubberies, vegetables – it's all good. There's another little project I have in mind for the dirt, but it'll be a couple days before I can say more.
Today, though, was Moving Day. Created stars and planets – but where to put them? All bunched together, they're not that exciting. Holy Spirit suggested spreading them out across the universe. That's good, I thought.
So I called Fed Ex and explained my vision to them. I explained our tight schedule, too: "It absolutely, positively has to be there overnight." They said, "no sweat," and asked if they could use that as their motto. "Not a problem," I said. After all, I am a gracious God, aren't I?
Day 5
Listening to: Jesus telling a "Big Fish" story
Mood: Amused (the "big fish" thing has potential, might return to it one day)
This morning I noticed a cool thing while creating birds and fish. When the land and the seas got separated a couple days ago some water got trapped in pockets of the land. We're calling them lakes and they're really an asset to the scenery.
While we were walking across one, Jesus said, "Hey, imagine how exciting it would be if this lake was filled with fire instead of water?" "But what would we put in it?" I asked. He didn't know, but I've got to admit a lake of fire would be something to see.
Handy creation tip: When creating large white birds to live near the seashore, wear a hat.
Day 6
Listening to: Jungle sounds
Mood: Pleased
Today we really made up for only working 11 seconds back at the beginning of the week. We spent all day creating animals. Like with the plants, we went for variety. Long ears. Short ears. Short ears, long tail. Long ears, almost no tail. Horns on heads. Horns on noses. Stripes. Spots. You name it, we did it. Created dinosaurs, too – Jesus loves the little dinosaurs. I foresee a couple scenarios down the road where there might be problems with the dinos, but for now they're playing well with the rest of creation.
I did my other dirt project today, too. I created man and woman. Adam is handling the names project for us. I ran through the "sea" jokes from the other day, but he didn't get them (had to be there, I guess). Eve did, though (sharp as a serpent's tooth, that one).
Turns out Jesus was making a bunny rabbit shadow-puppet earlier in the week. Good to know.
Day 7
Listening to: The collected works of Burt Bacharach (there are advantages to being omnipresent in time as well as space)
Mood: Serene (like a televangelist high on hairspray fumes – the downside of temporal omnipresence: I already know about garbage like this)
Taking it easy today, so this'll be short. I created banana cream pie around 10:30 this morning, but let's keep that on the QT, all right?
Noticed a certain animal in the garden that wasn't playing well with others this afternoon. Looks like we might be moving ahead with that Lake of Fire project after all.

By Chris Mikesell
BTW, it helps to be familiar with the original story in Genesis to get why some of this is funny.  Click here to refresh your memory about the original story.


P.S. If you type "Noah's blog" in my search section at the top of this blog, you'll get Noah's blog during the flood. I got it from the same source.

7 comments:

Annie K said...

Helen, that is funn-ay (said in your best Forest Gump.) I am one that likes to think God has a big sense of humor...I mean he created us didn't he? ;)

Sherri Murphy said...

I also thinks God has a big sense of humor.

Or at least I HOPE He does!

These were funny.

Helen said...

I think God created humor as well, so long as it stems from joy. This joke reminded me of the joy of creation, which is probably why I chose to share it.

Wendy said...

Oh, that's funny... And I love the visual I'm getting in my head about Jesus making shadow puppets! :o)

Stephanie Wetzel said...

I wonder if Jesus was also singing, "Little Bunny Fu-fu, hoppin thru the forest..."

If not, he should've been.

Helen said...

Wendy, that is what struck me funny as well.
Stephanie, good one. If He wasn't, He should have. That would have been one for the book...

Michelle said...

This is great!!!

I like how God was writing a blog when SHE was making the world!!!

HEHE!!!