Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ashes, Ashes, We all Fall Down

     I know it is in poor taste to wish everyone a happy lent, since it is a time in which we are to work at being at one with Christ during His forty days in the desert, and eventually His Passion.  But I am pleased to begin lent, because it is a new beginning.  It is even better than New Year's Day, because our Lenten promises carry on a spiritual significance which our New Year's resolutions do not.  Our New Year's resolutions are all about us, while our Lenten promises are all about our relationship with God.
    I usually make the Lenten promise to stay away from sweets.  It is a worthy goal, but seems to be more about me than my relationship with God (let's just say for now I am a big girl and leave it at that).  That goal has helped me for many a year to realize my own weakness and Christ's strength, but I think it is time for me to do more.  It is time to build on that realization.
My Lenten promise this year is to spend time daily in prayer.  I know, as a Christian it is something I should be doing anyway.  But I am not.  I promise to spend time each day praying, and hopefully by the end of Lent it will be so much a part of my life that I won't stop.  I hope to find myself renewed...

No comments: