Friday, February 20, 2009

Soothed by Whitesnake?

It's true. Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast. Ice on the car and in the driveway, a need to go to the pharmacy, and a long wait made for a crabby Helen.
Actuallly, coming home from the pharmacy, I was furious. I had to wait forty minutes for a prescription that I called in three days ago. Why? Because the lady ahead of me was given the wrong prescription an hour earlier, and she had to come back to have the right prescription done. I was furious for both of us. I didn't report the pharmacist, since the lady ahead of me really wasn't my business, but I was really ticked off. Especially when I heard the pharmacist say to her at the end "I don't know why the doctor prescribed that for your child. Most doctors prefer what I gave you....which is probably why I got confused...." The woman needs to take lessons in apologizing! I get that she wants to reassure the mom that her kid wouldn't have died from taking the medicine, but how about "I am sorry. Just so you know, what I gave you was a possible option for your child's condition, so he wouldn't have been harmed..." Even then, she isn't the doctor, so she couldn't know why the doctor preferred what he prescribed for the child. So anyway, I was furious for having to wait for something I had called in, and should have been able to pick up without any problem, and for the woman who has to spend an extra hour getting the medicine her child needs because of a pharmacist who not only made a mistake, but tried to make like it was the doctor's fault somehow.....
Then, driving home, Whitesnake's Here I Go Again was playing on the radio. There I go, singing along, remembering how cool I thought the person singing the lyrics sounded. I remember hoping I would be able to say I was cool one day....


Here I Go Again lyrics

I don't know where I'm going
But, I sure know where I've been
Hanging on the promises
In songs of yesterday
An' I've made up my mind
I ain't wasting no more time
But, here I go again
Here I go again
Tho' I keep searching for an answer
I never seem to find what I'm looking for
Oh Lord, I pray
You give me strength to carry on
Cos I know what it means
To walk along the lonely street of dreams
An' here I go again on my own
Goin' down the only road I've ever known
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone
An' I've made up my mind
I ain't wasting no more time
I'm just another heart in need of rescue
Waiting on love's sweet charity
An' I'm gonna hold on
For the rest of my days
Cos I know what it means
To walk along the lonely street of dreams
An' here I go again on my own
Going down the only road I've ever known
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone
An' I've made up my mind
I ain't wasting no more time
But here I go again
Here I go again
Here I go again
Here I go again
Cos I know what it means
To walk along the lonely street of dreams
An' here I go again on my own
Going down the only road I've ever known
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone
An' I've made up my mind
I ain't wasting no more time
An' here I go again on my own
Going down the only road I've ever known
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone
Cos I know what it means
To walk along the lonely street of dreams


All I can say is to that is that I am glad I am not "like a drifter, I was born to walk alone....". I am glad I have people walking the walk with me. And between singing a song from my youth at the top of my lungs, and knowing that happy is better than cool, I was in a much better mood....


7 comments:

Ryan B said...

This song is excellent.

katdish said...

Helen,

I didn't watch the video. I'd much rather picture you singing it than White Snake. As my friend Jake would say, that just brought joy to my heart. (And I really needed that today.)

Sherri Murphy said...

Great song- sorry about your trip to the pharmacist.

I loved your line "Happy is better than cool."

That's how I choose to live most days. I'm a dork, and I know it, but I AM HAPPY!

Happy to have hooked up with another kooky lady!

Michelle said...

How about being both happy AND cool???

It can be done!!

Also, rockin song!!!

Thank you so much for putting me on your prayer list!!!! I love you!!

Annie K said...

Helen, I have been in that very situation and it's hard to not give 'the look'. I try to be patient and gracious because I too have been in the service industry... but I feel your pain...I really do.

And can we do your hair up big and have you sing this at our party?

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

I noticed that you aren't walking this thing alone, Helen, thank God. And you aren't a drifter, thank God. Been there, done that!

Helen said...

Ryan, yeah, I enjoy the rhythm.
Katdish, thanks that is so sweet.
Sherri, me too!
Michelle, yeah, it can be done, but not by me. And that is okay. The guy in the song sounded cool, but I wouldn't have been happy with his life.
Annie, of course we can do my hair up big! That's what I am growing it for! And don't worry, I was not mean to the pharmacist. I wasn't especially sweet or chatty, but I wasn't mean.
Gabrielle, I am thankful for mom and Bob. As a teenager, I craved freedom. As an adult, I realize there really isn't such a thing as freedom. Relationships do tie a person down. The lack of relationships makes one lonely. Neither feels free. And if that is freedom, I think it is overrated.