Monday, October 19, 2009

Catholic Fest: Of Clocks and Conductors...





Well, a couple of amusing things happened at the conference. Not fall down laughing funny, but sardonic smile funny...

First of all, the keynote speech "The Love of Christ Impels Us" was AWESOME. I'll share with you a particular portion that made me cry later. Most of my Life is Funny Posts are not meant to make you cry...

Anyway, the speaker went longer than he was supposed to. People were leaving 15 minutes early so they wouldn't be late for their breakout session. I figured if I was late and could not discreetly enter, I would just check out the exhibits. I decided to stay for the duration of his speech, which ended at the time the other session was to begin.

Still, I got a lot out of his talk. Anyways, what was funny was that I had to go to the bathroom. Remember, the session was supposed to have started. It didn't, so I left my coat and stuff to save myself a seat, and then headed out to use the washroom. I returned just on time to sit down and hear the presenter say "let's begin with a prayer..."

Kind of funny that he gave us fifteen extra minutes before starting out of respect for the keynote speaker. Had I been worked up and left, I would have missed the poignant end of a moving speech for nothing, because I would have had to sit and wait for about half an hour.

Not funny enough?




Okay, how about this... I always like my last "breakout session" to be about incorporating music in Catechises, mostly because I love music, and want to end the Conference on a musical high. Well, they lost our registration, so I couldn't find the session I wanted. It may have been cancelled. If my registration wasn't lost, I would have known that and they would have given me an alternate, but since they lost my registration (and trusted us when we said we preregistered, TG) I was blindly picking sessions by titles. I found the first one fine, but couldn't find the second, so I just went to a different session that was about music.
Well, I ended up in a workshop for conductors. Did I ever mention that I can't read music, much less play an instrument? I couldn't conduct an all kazoo band! So I am sitting there singing (vewy vewy qwietwy) new music with people who don't need the piece played once to get the tune, they just pick up and start singing... AND it was about starting an Archdiocesan Youth Choir and parish participation (which MUST be conductor driven..) I sooooo didn't belong. But I did take the info. to give to our music director, who wasn't there. AND this session ended REALLy early, so I had a chance to go to the chapel and pray by myself, which was nice. It was that, or go to the vendors, and I thought that this is one year the vendors should lose the battle for Helen's presence. They will get over it.



How about joining my friend Wendy in her Life is Funny Blog Carnival?

10 comments:

Marni said...

Oooh, "Jessie's Girl" greeted me when I arrived on your blog. Hellooooo Rick. Grrrrr.....;-)

Before I die, I hope to be cool like you and use the word, sardonic in my blog.

Sarah Salter said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your Conference. And the funny parts just served to keep the day interesting. :o)

Wendy said...

Helen, I have to say that I think I'd pay money to see you conduct. Sure, you'd probably mess up whoever you were trying to conduct, but you'd do it joyfully! And probably with a little booty shaking. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Helen, it kept on getting funnier as I read! Please join our blog carnival...it wouldn't be the same without you!

Chris Sullivan said...

I'm too excited I made the twitter post to be able to think of a witty reply to this post.

Russell Holloway said...

One more comment to go... If only I were number 7!

Russell Holloway said...

One more comment to go... If only I were number 7!

Peter P said...

I would LOVE to see video of you looking all uncomfortable in the conductor's session!

LOL

Anne Lang Bundy said...

(Since Russell cheated and commented twice I'll add this to put you over the top.)

Oh please, please, please will you come to the blog carnival?
:D

Helen said...

Marni, Rick Springfield, Marc Anthony, Ricky Marin... its a regular hottie convention..
Sarah, thanks. Yes. I was glad that I had a Life is Funny post opportunity... :-)
Wendy, thanks. Yes. More booty shakin' the nonCharismatic Catholics allow, probably...
Bridget, thanks. I am glad to see my demands have been met, and I will be joining the blog carnival tomorrow...
Chris, yes you made the twitter post. Had you any doubt?
R. Holloway, thanks for working to meet my ransom demands...
R. Holloway, thanks for working to meet my ransom demands...
Peter, I'll see if the video is available yet...
Anne, thank you. Ransom has been met, so my post will be up at 12:01.