Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Don't Get Even, Get Obnoxious

Sunday I was visiting my Aunt and my cousin. We had a great conversation, but somehow it led to people trying to take advantage of others' ignorance. That reminded me of a funny story, which I shared with them, and will now share with you!


My dad had been dead for two years (not funny yet, please bear with me) when the manager for a hardware store he used to frequently pick up supplies for a building he used to work in called and said dad had just been in admiring some power tools. This was about two weeks before Father's Day.

Manager: You are the daughter Frank ________, right?
HRM: Yes, I am. (I am still his daughter!)
Manager: He was recently in our store admiring this new drill set we got in..
HRM: How recently?
Manager: Last week, I think...
HRM: YOU MEAN HE HASN'T SEEN ME IN TWO YEARS, BUT HE IS IN TOWN AND IMMEDIATELY GOES TO YOUR HARDWARE STORE!
Manager: Uh, uh, ....
HRM: WELL, I AM NOT GETTING HIM ANYTHING FOR FATHER'S DAY THIS YEAR. MAYBE THAT WILL TEACH HIM TO COME VISIT ME THE NEXT TIME HE RISES FROM THE DEAD!


This led to one of my life motto's, don't get even, get obnoxiously funny!
(Remind me to tell you someday what I said to the person selling prearranged funerals when they wouldn't leave us alone...)

How about joining Wendy at her Life is Funny Blog Carnival?

9 comments:

jasonS said...

That's pretty good! So you think the guy was just trying to get you to come in and buy something? That would be one of the strangest tactics I've ever heard of. He probably didn't try it again after that!

Although everyone knows, after you rise from the dead, 1st thing you do is go shop for tools. :)

Tiffany S said...

I wish my mind would think of comebacks that quickly!!!

katdish said...

Ooo! I'm envisioning some sort of Zombieland with power tools.

Only you, sweet Helen! Only you!

Shark Bait said...

If I rise from the dead, and go to a hardware store, then I'm looking for a shovel to cover over the grave, not a powerdrill.

"Don't get even, get odd!"

Wendy said...

Zombies are always asking me where they can find good power tools. You'll have to give me the name of that hardware store so I can pass it along to them.

Can't wait to hear the other story!

Sherri Murphy said...

Way to go Helen! I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall.

Stephanie Wetzel said...

Marketing tactic #FAIL. I'd love to know if he ever tried THAT with anyone else again.

Tracy said...

Adore the concept.

But I'm kind of with Tiffany, I only think about the comeback AFTER the conversation.

Maybe if I work at it, I can get better.

Joanne Sher said...

Hehe - TOOO funny! Love it.