Tuesday, March 23, 2010

He is Faithful

This week's One Word Blog Carnival is on the word faithfulness. Please check out Bridget Chumbley's blog for more on Faithfulness.

Faithfulness: steadfast in affection or allegiance.

That fits God so perfectly, doesn't it? Hi love for us has never waivered. When we were as far away from deserving His faithfulness, He gave us Jesus, who demonstrated His own faithfulness by dying a humiliating, painful, and gruesome death on a cross. He did this for us because we were as far from faithful as we could possibly be...His faithfulness is in no way dependent on ours.

Romans 3:3-4 3What if some did not have faith? Will their lack of faith nullify God's faithfulness? 4Not at all! Let God be true, and every man a liar. As it is written:
"So that you may be proved right when you speak
and prevail when you judge."



Do I mean to suggest that people can not be faithful? Not at all. Galatians 5:22 lists faithfulness among the gifts of the Holy Spirit. I firmly believe that we can be faithful, but only because it is a gift given to us.

I have known much faithfulness.... A mom who was always there for me, a dad who worked hard and came home and spent time with me, a husband who takes Ephesians 5:25 (Husbands love your wives, just as Christ loved the Church and gave Himself up for her) to heart...

And do you know what these faithful people have in common? Yep. Him. My parents were, and my husband is, a tangible demonstration of God's faithfulness to me.

Thank you, God!



I'd like to share one of my mom's favorite hymns with you. It is based on Psalm 91. I sang this to my mom when she was frightened from the hallucinations her pain medications gave her one day. I used the imagery of holding her in the palm of His hand in prayer with her the night before she died (I thought about singing it to her, but didn't think making the other patients hear me was fair to them...), and reminded her that just as she would never have dropped her daughter, He would never drop His daughter.... I wasn't expecting her to be raised "on eagle's wings" the next morning.... But I know God is faithful, and that He did not drop her....

9 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

That hymn was absolutely beautiful Helen ♥

Glynn said...

To know God is to know faithfulness. And to have people who were and are important in your life who know God is a great blessing indeed.

katdish said...

I love that you sang this to your mom, Helen. And I love that you are faithful.

Billy Coffey said...

That is one of my most favorite songs. Well done, Helen. Love that.

Joyce said...

Such a beautiful song...and sweet words to go with it today. Having faithful people in our lives means so much. I feel thankful for that too.

jasonS said...

The examples of faithfulness around us also point to God's ultimate faithfulness. It's a beautiful circle. Thanks Helen.

Anonymous said...

I have always loved this song. I'm so glad you reminded me of it, Helen. The fact it was one of your mom's faves, and that you sang it to her makes it all the more special!

Anne Lang Bundy said...

Oh Helen! I hadn't heard that song in forever! Thank you for reminding me of its message, and for the beautiful words about the people in your life.

Louise Gallagher said...

I've never heard that song before -- beautiful.

And your story is beautiful too. Thank you!

Louise