Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Please, Mr. Government Official, Permit Me to Pray With My Friends in My Own Home...


Gatherings such as this are illegal in San Diego without a permit.


A video of an interview with the couple on Fox News.

Please click here and read this article. Yeah, if you have a big family, do you need a permit to say grace before meals? This ordinance may make sense if we are talking about a gathering of more than a hundred, but a group bible study with about 1/3 the number of people that came to weekly card parties back in the day (and yes, they sang songs in Hungarian until two in the morning!)? This is outrageous! Does that hold true if I am having weekly teas and rallies for the newest progressive political candidate, or only if I want to lead the meeting with a prayer?






What does the article and my angry rant have to do with What I learned this week? Everything. I have learned that I do take my religious liberties for granted. My husband often asks me what I would do if the Church had to go underground due to persecution. I learned that I haven't been taking this question seriously, and it is time that I do.

Matthew 26: 40-41 "Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. 'Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?' he asked Peter. 'Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.'"

Time to watch and pray. Thank you to those of you who already are....

10 comments:

Musings of a Housewife said...

I fear it's coming. And I hate melodrama. I generally don't get all up in arms about this sort of thing. But I think there will come a day when Christians are persecuted in America. You are right. We should not take our current liberties for granted.

Marni said...

Girl, I join you in this rant. It's scary to see the attack Christians are coming under in America (granted, it's NOTHING like they do all over the world, and for that I'm so thankful)

I was listening to the radio this morning and heard of a retired disabled vet who lives in a Homeowners Association near Dallas. His HOA is telling him to remove his Marine's and American flag car magnets off his truck tailgate or they'll have him towed.

God is great, but people are crazy man...

katdish said...

Ugh! Frustrating!

Candy said...

I suppose we'll have to call our Bible studies potlucks from now on. I make a mean Proverbs casserole. Sheesh. Some people have way too much time on their hands - don't they have parking tickets to hand out or something?

Annie K said...

This just makes me want to rant. Hrmph.

Helen said...

Musings of a Housewife, I think I went toward the edge on this one because I HATE the idea of the government dictating what guests in my home may or may not do...a permit to study the bible with friends in my own home...absurd..
Marni, for a flag...our Country's flag, and the flag of her defenders? That's just so wrong...
katdish, indeed.
Candy, I suppose my specialty will be Psalms Pasta and Salami Salad..
Annie, I just find it so unbelieveable that one can't study the Bible with guests in their own home ANYWHERE in this country.

Hey, Wendy, where are you? You probably have a good handle on this. You're from California...So is Steph (originally)...maybe you can shed some light..

Vicki in NC said...

I would like the recipes for the Proverbs Casserole and the Psalms Pasta & Salami salad, please :-)

Billy Coffey said...

So glad I'm as far away from California as an American can geographically get. And that's still too close.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Wow! Scary!

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Bill Coffey,

I hate to say this, but it's happened in places like Connecticut. It's not just in California. I heard of somewhere on the East Coast a bible study was advertised in a coffee shop and was investigated and they were told they couldn't have their bible study, or something like that - a similar story, on the opposite coast.